The Environmental Impact Screening Committee (EISC) has a Chair and six members. Three of the members are appointed by the Inuvialuit Game Council. The governments of Canada, the Yukon and the Northwest Territories each designate one member and Canada appoints the designated members. The Chair is appointed by the Government of Canada with the consent of the Inuvialuit Game Council.
The primary responsibility of the Screening Committee is to determine if proposed developments could have a significant negative environmental impact on the Inuvialuit Settlement Region, or a significant negative impact on present or future Inuvialuit wildlife harvesting. Each developer has to submit a project description to the Screening Committee for screening.
If the Screening Committee determines that a development could have a significant negative environmental impact it can recommend terms and conditions to mitigate the potential impact. Where the EISC determines that the development could have a significant negative impact it may be subject to a further assessment and review by the Environmental Impact Review Board. No government licenses or approvals may be issued before the Screening Committee has completed its review.
Since the Committee was established in 1986, over 700 hundred development proposals have been screened. These projects have ranged from oil and gas seismic and drilling programs to commercial river trips. A standardized system for screening, developed by the Committee, has led to prompt and consistent decision-making. Through the efforts of the Screening Committee, a positive relationship between the Inuvialuit, industry, government and the EISC, has emerged.
- David Livingstone, Chair, August 14, 2018 – August 13, 2020
- Gerald Inglangasuk, Inuvialuit Member, October 1, 2018 – September 30, 2021
- Shannon O’Hara, Inuvialuit Member, October 1, 2016 – October 1, 2019
- Ray Ruben Sr., Inuvialuit Member, October 1, 2016 – October 1, 2019
- Bengt Pettersson, Yukon Member, August 5, 2019 – August 4, 2022
- Ronald Wallace, GNWT Member, March 22, 2019 – March 21, 2022
- Todd Slack, Canada Member, August 23, 2019 – August 22, 2022
- Michel Lindsay