The Joint Secretariat – Inuvialuit Settlement Region (JS) was established in 1986 to provide technical and administrative support to the Inuvialuit Game Council and 4 of the 5 co-management boards. These include the Environmental Impact Screening Committee, the Environmental Impact Review Board, the Wildlife Management Advisory Council (NWT) and the Fisheries Joint Management Committee. It also records and makes available all materials associated with the business of those groups. The fifth co-management board is the Wildlife Management Advisory Council (North Slope). Their office is located in Whitehorse Yukon and is not administratively supported by the Joint Secretariat like the other boards.
The JS takes direction for the JS Board. The JS Board is composed of the Chair of the 5 co-management boards including the Chair of the Inuvialuit Game Council and the Executive director of the JS.
The JS operates and directs its day-to-day and strategic activities with the guidance of the following objectives:
- To support and facilitate the interests and activities of the wildlife and environmental councils, committees and boards, established pursuant to the Inuvialuit Final Agreement in any matters relating to their responsibilities and interests.
- To provide administrative (financial/clerical) support to those councils, committees and boards and to arrange logistics of meetings pursuant to the business of those councils, committees and boards.
- To record and make available all materials associated with the business of those councils, committees and boards as required by their Chairs and other appropriate agencies.
- To establish and maintain working liaisons between the Joint Secretariat and other Inuvialuit organizations, Government, Industry, the Academic sector and other relevant agencies or organizations.
- To provide technical resource support to those councils, committees and boards as required by their Chairs.